Description of original award (Fiscal Year 2017, $200,000)
The Adam Walsh Child Protection and Safety Act of 2006 (AWA) (42 U.S.C. § 16909, et seq.; Pub. L. 113-235, 128 Stat. 2130, 2193) authorizes the Office of Sex Offender Sentencing, Monitoring, Apprehending, Registering, and Tracking (SMART) to administer sex offender management grants. These grants assist states, the District of Columbia, U.S. principal territories and tribal jurisdictions in developing and/or enhancing sex offender registration and notification programs that support substantial implementation of Title I of the AWA, known as the Sex Offender Registration and Notification Act (SORNA). SORNA was enacted to protect the public from convicted sex offenders and offenders against children by establishing a comprehensive national system for the registration of those offenders.
The Caddo Nation seeks FY 2017 AWA grant funds to implement the following objectives in support of SORNA implementation:
1) develop and implement provisions of the Tribe's sex offender registration and notification legislation and policies as approved by the Tribal Council and as reviewed by the SMART office.
2) orient all tribal program personnel by providing information relative to SORNA, local efforts and ongoing collaborative efforts with other jurisdictions.
3) develop and implement a public website to make information available and thereby promote public awareness and community safety.
4) enhance criminal justice information sharing at the jurisdictional level as well as between jurisdictions thereby enhancing victim and community safety.
5) identify, register and communicate with other jurisdictions regarding all sex offenders who enter or depart from the jurisdiction; and,
6) develop interagency, inter-tribal and tribal-state collaborative agreements to enhance information sharing.